Monday, May 18, 2009

Good Times at the Track

Inspired by Keith's phenomenal weekend performance (1:37:16 half-marathon, y'all!) I sashayed up to the USU track for my regular Monday speed workout. The field showed obvious remnants of a weekend track meet: fresh sand in the pits, neatly stacked hurdles, blue foam fingers littering the bleachers... and along the north end there was a uniform row of shiny port-a-lets conveniently placed for the collegiate athletes. I jogged a pleasant warm-up mile and could sense the lingering excitement and energy of a recent event. I also relished in the hot sun beating down on me. Happily I had the track all to myself. (Once I start the speed work, I feel much less conspicuous dry-heaving over the steeple-chase bar if no one else is around to witness.)

I was about half way through my workout when a large truck towing a flatbed trailer pulled into the gate and lumbered toward the northern end of the track. As I rounded the bend I read the signature: Nature's Call--We "go" wherever you "go." Due to intent focus on my watch and a lack of oxygen, it didn't dawn on me until the smell smacked me. I was sprinting my guts out and sucking wind while these port-a-lets were being hoisted up on the flatbed and their inner-contents vacuumed into a truck bed tank. The inner-contents being "nervous athlete output" that had stewed and baked in the ground for the last 72 hours. I didn't know what to do. I was already in the middle of my carefully-designed workout and I didn't want to cut it short. But I was sprinting through the most wretched, disgusting, foul, stench I had ever encountered. (And remember, I changed Eli's diapers for nearly two years!) So, I ran my remaining 1200, 800 and 400 meters in the fashion of a swimmer; I would take a gigantic, lung-filled-to-capacity, breath and haul it as hard and fast as I could without inhaling again. And wouldn't you know it, my times were actually my fastest yet. But that is not to say it was worth it. I have brushed my teeth twice, shampooed my hair three times and I may have to burn my running tank.

(If you think this post is even remotely funny, which I do not, you will enjoy this witty British film. I'm looking at you, Sherri!)

And although I do not like to use my blog as a medium for publicly expressing my love or for bragging about my family (well, flagrant bragging), I simply cannot miss this opportunity to tell Keith how proud I am of him. You spanked the Ogden half and I couldn't be more awed by your hard work, your resolute mind, and your gorgeous legs. Bien fait, mon cheri!

11 comments:

Sherri said...

J,
That is so much more than remotely funny. That's one way to get some good times in during your speed work.

Jandee said...

I feel for ya. Good job on the speed wk out. Dusty and I are excited about the St. George Marathon.

Tasha said...

That's hilarious!! Oh...I mean...that's terrible!LOL Congrats to Keith!

Brynne said...

Good for you for sticking with it. I'm pretty sure I would have used that excuse to call it a day and head back home! :)

Brittney said...

That stinks.

Jandee said...

Joc, that is pretty stinkin' funny. Have you seen "Ghost Town"? That reminds of the scene w/ the dog. Bytheway, congrats to Keith!
Dooder

katyvee said...

So THAT'S how you get so fast!!

Ronda said...

Thanks for the laugh! That is so funny!

Heather Zwygart said...

That was just discusting!! I'm so sorry!! Just kidding thanks for the laugh and great job Keith!

Unknown said...

I've always said that speed workouts carry a stink all their own. In this case, the stench was exponential. If there is a worse smell than race day port-o-potties, I have yet to come across it. I am cheering for you, your amazing husband and your fantastic lung capacity.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.