Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Did Paul Revere Really Make the Midnight Ride?

The girls and I were enjoying a rather smart and patriotic discussion about the first Thanksgiving and I was pleased to see they are getting old enough to grasp the significance of this national holiday. As we talked I could see they were beginning to better comprehend the sacrifice and strength of those brave passengers on the Mayflower. We talked about that first harsh winter in Plymouth, how one-half of the company died, dropping the numbers from 102 to 53 and yet, come spring, not one of the remaining pilgrims chose to return to England. What a valiant and hearty group. Michal asked what sickness had killed so many and I admitted I wasn't sure but it was likely some type of pneumonia or tuberculosis. And then Sam piped up, "No, it wasn't pneumonia. It was small pox. And we gave it to them on purpose!"

Needless to say, the beauty of the moment was shattered and I had the strained pleasure of clarifying Sam's comment. (I am still concerned by her use of the word "we.") Anyway, a few short hours later, my precious, not-so-innocent, daughters and I sat down to enjoy a lovely turkey dinner having just discussed (ever so lightly) the ugliest and darkest chapter of this nation's history. Ah, parenthood.

This begs the question, how does my six-year-old know about small pox? (And it's application as an agent of biological warfare in the New World.) Next thing she'll be telling us George Washington never chopped down his father's cherry tree and Lincoln did not walk ten miles to return three pennies. History is getting frightfully honest at the elementary school level. One thing is sure, whoever told Sam about small pox better not step on the wonderment that is Santa Claus.

4 comments:

Tasha said...

We had the Santa talk with Ryan when he was 11!! Even then I was devastated when he said "I know"! DANG!!

Tash

P.S. What were you doing up at 2:46?!?

katyvee said...

I'm actually impressed you knew how many died off. Or that any did for that matter. When my own kindergartener asked me to "tell him more stuff about the pilgrims" I had a REALLY hard time coming up with anything new or interesting that he had not been taught in his highly advanced, KINDERGARTEN courses. Ouch. What's it like being intelligent?? It intriques me.

Dave and Mel said...

I had no idea you have a blog. And it is educational too. I think all of it was new info for me. You are amazing. I need you to write me a mother's instruction manual.

Kaly said...

I have said this before,,,you need to write a book! I am serious. It would be a best seller. You are so creative and articulate, as you proved today when you talked about the Heroine, Mary. You definitely got the "girl power" thing going on!!